Tuesday, March 4, 2014

How Do You Focus on Five Things?

I've always heard that claiming to focus on multiple things was the same as focusing on nothing.  As a photographer, you can't be all things to all people.  Very few are great at portraits and fashion and modeling and babies and landscapes and commercial photography and so on.  On the other hand, if you narrow your scope to one thing, like maternity/baby sessions, you can make good money and develop a name, but the work gets a little repetitive.  A friend of mine who did just that recently told me that "If I have to photograph another baby, I'll just scream."  

Now I'm a fair growler but a pretty sucky screamer, so that seems too narrow a focus for me.  I've decided to focus on Three Things (or is it Four - or Five?).  These are areas where I'm pretty good and I already have most of the equipment needed.  The Big Three are 

Real Estate

Modeling/Fashion

Individual/Family Portraits

 

But I'm tempted to add

Event Photography (parties, reunions, proms etc.)

Photo Scan & Repair

 

Until I'm well-known enough to narrow further, this seems like a good mix for me.   I've done all of these things and made money at them.  Where's the focus? you say...  Well, here's what I DON'T do:


Weddings
Boudior
Babies (although I do do Maternity, which I squeeze under Individual/Family Portraits)

Here's a recent Real Estate shot, a Model image and a Portrait from the last few weeks.  This is hugely different work, they use different cameras, lenses and lighting, and the workup is totally different.  But they're fun, they make money, and, after all, Variety is the Spice of Life!







No comments:

Post a Comment