Sunday, January 12, 2014

A New Focus, A New Beginning

Some things are changing around Halcyon Hills Photography.  One of them is the restarting of our blog and another is the type of the work we're most actively pursuing,  I wanted to get this out in the open, and then we'll have a little more fun in these blogs!


Our Blog is Back!

We posted 18 blogs from Sept. 2011 until Sept. 2012.  They weren't a lot of fun to read.  Now, we're going to talk about photography and making images and working with models and having fun behind the camera.  We'll have some pictures and stories, and I really hope you'll like it.  Time will tell, but we're always interested in your comments.

What Are We After?

We started business in the real estate area.  We have a premier product, the Video Visit, that's great BUT our cost exceeds its value - people won't pay for them.  I don't blame them - I let my technical geek overwhelm my marketing intel.  My bad.

So, we offered still photo packages to realtors & builders, and we specialized in large, expensive homes.  We sold quite a few and still have some regular customers that we cherish.  BUT, large, expensive homes don't come on the market every day, and we don't get to photograph all that do.

SO, we begin expanding into family portraits and business headshots.  As an on-location studio, we saw an advantage doing studio-quality portraiture in people's own homes.  The advantage is real, the quality is great, and we've done a good number of these.  We just have more marketing to do for this to grow.

And, we've done some pet work, most often through having a booth at dog events in the area.

In all this I've learned what I like to do and where I can provide a valuable service.  I can help people, places, things and furry friends look their very best.  Documentary or journalistic photography, where recording the facts of the situation is #1, isn't for me.  I like creating images that show us maybe just a little better than we really are - what we could be.

That's still a fit for the real estate market, but also works with portraiture.  A really good place for this thinking is in model photography for advertising and fashion.  I'll show links to our portfolios on the major modeling website in one of the next posts.

No comments:

Post a Comment